Autocross or as it’s officially titled, “Solo”, is a contest of driving skill that emphasizes the driver’s ability and the car’s handling characteristics. You drive a course that is designated by traffic cones on a low hazard location, such as a parking lot or inactive airstrip. While speeds are no greater than those normally encountered in legal highway driving, the combination of concentration and car feedback creates an adrenaline pumping experience. It is like being in a movie chase scene, only you’re holding the steering wheel, not the popcorn.
- You don’t need a racing license or even any experience… just show up and race!
- You can race with pretty much any vehicle. As long as your car passes a simple technical safety inspection and isn’t too tall like a big truck or SUV… you can race it. Full details about the technical inspection can be found here.
- It’s affordable. Racing can be expensive. Tires, brakes, fuel, entry fees… not to mention buying or building a competitive vehicle… it starts to add up. Autocross is a low cost way to go fast. The classing system means an Accord could be as competitive as a Corvette and the lower speeds mean you’re not having to replace your tires and brakes like you would with track driving.
- It’s safe. No one likes to think about crashing… but on a race track anything can happen. Autocross courses are set up to avoid any sort of hard barrier so the only thing damaged if you lose control is your pride. Don’t worry… we all do it… some more than others… especially if their name rhymes with Bason.
It’s probably easiest to just show you what autocross looks like in action
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Event Guide – All you need to know and what to expect on race day.
- Novice Class – If you’re new to the sport… we’ve got you covered.
- Vehicle & Helmet Requirements – Your car has to pass a simple safety inspection and have class & number clearly displayed before being allowed to race. Also info on helmet requirements.
- Guide To Worker Assignments – Autocross is a volunteer organization so everyone who races does their part to help the event run.
- Car Classing Guide – Each vehicle is classed based on their performance so every car can compete.
- Scoring & Trophies – Some racers are in it just for fun. However if you like shiny objects, here’s how you collect them.